As we are already moving in the modern era of the third decade of the 21st century, mankind needs development and prosperity in every field of life. In the year 2020 we have realized that for the survival of humans, the most important field is the healthcare system. Those countries whose healthcare systems can withstand the pandemics are the ones who will survive in the future. No matter how much technology or nuclear weapons you have, if you want to fight till the end, you should have a stable and robust healthcare system to fight biological warfare.
In Pakistan, like other countries, digitalization in healthcare systems is introduced. Pakistan produces highly qualified health professionals each year. And they are providing their services in Pakistan and other countries of the world. Pakistan still needs more hospitals and better infrastructure of the healthcare system to ensure the availability of healthcare facilities to every citizen.
Digital healthcare platforms like Marham are providing their services through websites and Apps. So that, even a layman can find and consult the best doctors of Pakistan. In this article, you can read about the 15 most common medical specialties that we need to consult in our everyday life.
1. Gynecologists and Obstetricians:Gynecologists are the health specialists who deal with the health of the female reproductive system. And a similar specialty related to gynecology in Obstetrics. Obstetricians are the doctors who provide their services during pregnancy and childbirth. In Pakistan, majority-female doctors specialize in this field. But some male gynecologists/obstetricians are also serving the nation with their expertise.
Gynecologists can treat infertility, Polycystic ovarian syndrome, infections of vagina and cervix, fibroids, endometriosis, cervical insufficiency, urinary tract infections, and cancer of ovaries, uterus, cervix, vulva, and vagina. Obstetricians deals with pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum care. Apart from these, many other complications related to the female reproductive system can also be treated by these specialists.
2. Psychiatrists:Psychiatrists are the doctors who deal with the diagnosis, prevention, study, and treatment of mental disorders. They are the specialists who can diagnose the chemical imbalance in your brain causing psychiatric issues. They can treat health conditions like depression, eating disorders, insomnia, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, addictions, suicidal thoughts, phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), personality disorders, and many others.
3. Psychologists:Psychologists are the therapists who assess, diagnose, and treat mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders. They are different from a psychiatrist as they focus on psychotherapy like talk therapy. These therapists can help in diagnosing somatic symptoms, eating disorders, mood disorders, and related disorders, sleep-wake disorders, anxiety disorders, and personality disorders.
4. Dermatologists:Dermatologists are the doctors who can treat your problems related to skin and hair. They are specialized in diagnosing skin diseases that are more than 3 thousand. The most common skin conditions dealt with by dermatologists are eczema, psoriasis, acne, hair fall fungal infections, skin cancer, etc. Sometimes your skin shows signs of other underlying diseases and your dermatologist can help you in diagnosing it.
5. Gastroenterologists:Gastroenterologists are the health specialists who can diagnose and treat the diseases associated with the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon and rectum, pancreas, gallbladder, bile ducts, and liver. These professionals help you in treating so many diseases related to these organs. Among the many health conditions, the most important ones are GERD (acid reflux), Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), celiac disease, Inflammatory bowel disease, ulcers, nutritional problems, and cancer (gastrointestinal, liver, pancreatic, bile duct, gallbladder, colorectal).
6. Urologist:Urologists are specialists who can diagnose and treat the problems linked with the urinary tract of both males and females. They can also help in treating health issues of the male reproductive system. They can treat conditions like prostate gland enlargement, Urinary tract Infections (UTIs), infertility in men, bladder prolapse in females, cancers of kidneys, bladder, penis, testicle, prostate, and adrenal glands.
7. Sexologists:Sexologists are the health professionals who deal with human sexuality, including human sexual interests, behaviors, and functions. They can treat the problems related to intercourse and sexuality. Sometimes both physical and psychological factors are involved. So these health specialists can diagnose the root cause and make your sex life better.
8. Pediatricians:Pediatricians are doctors who specialize in diseases of children. There are a vast variety of specialties under pediatrics like a pediatric surgeon, pediatric oncologist, pediatric gastroenterologist, etc. But the main thing is these doctors can diagnose and treat diseases in children.
The most common problems of children treated by pediatricians are urinary tract infections, bronchitis, skin infections, common cold, sore throat, gastric issues, pneumonia, and meningitis, etc.
9. Dentists:Dentists are doctors who specialize in oral medicine. They help in diagnosing and treating the diseases of the oral cavity. They treat diseases like cavities, gingivitis, periodontitis, oral cancer, and many other problems related to teeth and aesthetics.
Dentists provide various services like oral X-ray examination, root canals, fillings, tooth extraction, implants, orthodontics, crowning, full and partial dentures.
10. Neurologists:Neurologists are specialists who deal with diseases related to the nervous system. The nervous system consists of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. So the problems related to these organs can be treated by a neurologist. They can deal with issues like muscle weakness, sensation problems, dizziness, dementia, tremors, and headaches.
The most common diseases that are managed by neurologists are epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer's disease, neuromuscular disorders, migraine and cluster headache, etc.
11. Orthopedic Surgeons:Orthopedic surgeons are the medical specialists who can deal with the problems related to the musculoskeletal system. These can diagnose the problem with your muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons, and nerves. The surgeons perform surgeries involving these organs of the body. The common diseases treated by orthopedics are Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Ligament injuries in the knee, rheumatoid arthritis, tennis elbow, etc.
12. Cardiologists:Cardiologists are doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating diseases related to the heart and vascular system (blood vessels). They deal with hypertension, high cholesterol levels, congestive heart disease, coronary heart disease, congenital heart disease, arrhythmias, atherosclerosis, and many other conditions in which heart problems are involved.
They can help in diagnosing and treating heart problems. Similarly, they also guide you to prevent further complications. They can prescribe medicines and suggest diet according to your health and condition.
13. General Physicians:General Physicians are doctors who can provide a variety of health care non-surgical treatments for various diseases. The most common diseases dealt with by these specialists are headaches, upper respiratory tract infections, Urinary tract infections, diabetes, high or low blood pressure, asthma, gastroenteritis, muscular pains, etc.
14. Pulmonologists:Pulmonologists are the health specialists who can treat the disease related to lungs and other organs in the chest region. They can treat asthma, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), emphysema, cystic fibrosis, and lung cancer.
15. Endocrinologists:Endocrinologists are specialists who can treat disorders related to hormones and glands producing them. The most common diseases dealt with by these specialists are diabetes, Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, hyper and hypothyroidism, obesity, pituitary gland problems, etc.
Apart from these specialties, there are many other medical specialties in which our doctors are practicing and providing their services. You can find the details of these specialties on Marham.pk’s official website. You can also find a specialist doctor according to the disease.